Fix – Update stuck or hanging? Can’t connect? Read this troubleshooting guide.
We have used Chromecasts since the first ‘model’ came out, and generally they have run without an issue. Our first Chromecast appeared to have died, it would no longer connect, so we bought a new Chromecast 2 and spent an evening trying to set it up. Everything appeared to be working OK until it tried to fetch an update, at which point it just stayed at 0% (zero percent). Here’s what we tried and how we eventually fixed it:
- First we tried switching it off and waiting 30 seconds or so before switching back on. This has worked for some but not for us, it just went straight to the update screen and stayed at 0%.
- Next we tried resetting it to factory settings, another online suggestion, by holding the reset button for 25 seconds or so until it rebooted. We went through the setup procedure again, it tried to fetch an update annnnnnnd stuck once more at 0%.
- We recently upgraded our broadband and BT had kindly sent us a new Home Hub. Now I don’t know if other routers have this functionality but when you log on for the first time with a new device you are redirected to a set up page where you can set parental controls etc. Possibly the Chromecast was being treated as a new device when it tried to get an update, being redirected to this page would certainly confuse it. To switch off this feature do the following:
- In your browser go to http://bthomehub.home/
- Select ‘Advanced Settings’
- On the next screen enter your username and password and on the following screen select ‘continue to advanced settings’.
- Select ‘Home Network’ and then ‘Smart Setup’
- Change ‘Enable Smart Setup’ to ‘No’ and click the apply button.
- Reset the Chromecast to factory settings once more and try again!
- Now this didn’t work for us initially but we did discover that our old Chromecast 1 was now able to connect and function correctly once more and I think this was part of the solution to getting the Chromecast 2 up and running also.
The final key to the puzzle for us was to ……..
Change to another HDMI port, I don’t know why that worked but suddenly the update was fetched and we’ve been streaming without an issue ever since.