How to fix the Humax PVR-9200T if you are getting problems with it freezing / locking / crashing.
(Also my experience with the –:– clock problem in standby and the 9200T’s failure to record in this mode.)
I have owned the Humax PVR-9200T for a good few years now and it has changed the way we watch TV as a family. Bought when the kids were younger because inevitably there was something we wanted to watch at their bedtime. This generally entailed one of us watching the beginning of the program and then filling the other in once the kids were settled. The ability to pause TV was, and is, just brilliant, when the phone rings or unexpected guests arrive etc. but recently the player started to freeze/lock or the remote control would have no effect and although the program could still be viewed the only way to regain control of the unit was to switch it on and off at the mains.
I was convinced the only way to solve the problem was to reformat the hard drive but luckily I took my partners advice and called the excellent Humax support – 0844 669 8800 (UK Customer Helpline). Within minutes they had emailed me the fix, and here, to save you the bother of picking up the phone is the solution they sent:
Please follow the steps below to perform a Default reset;
- Power OFF the receiver
- Disconnect the Aerial cable
- Power On the receiver
- Press MENU
- Select Installation
- Enter your password (default = 0000)
- Select Default Setting
- Select YES
- Enter your password (Default = 0000)
- When the receiver restarts, power off
- Connect the Aerial Cable
- Power ON – the receiver will then search for the channels.
I hope it works for you too. Enjoy.
UPDATE 02/08/2011: I am now experiencing the dreaded –:– clock problem and have found this thread. This is when the clock displays –:– in standby and won’t record from this mode. I haven’t tried the posted solution yet but by the comments it seems to work. I will post my findings when I get around to it.
UPDATE 03/08/2011: I have just contacted Humax and a new clock board can be purchased for a little over £30.00. However the support engineer suggested that I tried cleaning it as described in the above thread. So I think I will give that a go first.
UPDATE 06/08/2011: So today I removed the clock board following the guidelines here and cleaned it as listed above. It took me about 45 minutes in all to dismantle, clean and reassemble. I used surgical spirit from a local pharmacy and about 5 cotton buds. It worked! and it is quite simple to do, just take your time and hey presto 🙂 Besides, even if it doesn’t it’s certainly worth a try before shelling out £30 for a new board.
If you have a question on any of the above then please post a comment for the benefit of all